Chanel Le Vernis in Sky Line from Blue Illusion de Chanel

| 9 Comments


Sky Line is part of the Blue Illusion de Chanel makeup collection, from Chanel's spring/summer 2012 Haute Couture show.  The entire Haute Couture collection featured the colour blue and was inspired by the glamour of air travel in its heyday.

images from chanel.com

One thing that Chanel does very well is linking its fashion shows to its makeup line - something I have yet to see in other French fashion houses with their own cosmetics line.  Sky Line was another case of 'oh I want that' after seeing backstage beauty photos from the Haute Couture show.


I wanted to buy Sky Line (from seeing the backstage photos) but was apprehensive as blue nail polish doesn't sit well with my olive/tanned sallow skintone.  My worry was that it would be too close to Riva, which did not complement my colouring.  But as you can see below, Sky Line is completely different to Riva and in my opinion much more beautiful.


Riva, from the Côte D’Azur collection, is a baby blue with shimmer.  With Riva next to Sky Line, you can see Sky Line is a blue with purple undertone.  Nails Inc Blue Bell in the background is a pastel lilac/lavender and looks more in tone with Sky Line.


Sky Line has micro shimmer and is similar in texture to Island from the summer collection.  The finish is pearl metallic, and the shimmer is not perceivable to the eye - I can only really capture it in super close up macro shots.


Colour wise I find it hard to describe Sky Line.  At the counter under department store lighting, Sky Line definitely looked like a light 'sky' blue.  However when viewed under natural daylight, I see it more as a lilac/lavender blue.


Initially, sight unseen, I thought Sky Line was going to be one of those cult Chanel colours that won't look good on me (Paradoxal & Riva springs to mind).  I really really like Sky Line - it's a colour that works with my colouring and just looks very fresh and elegant (for an unusual colour).

In fact I'd put it out there and say I like it better than all of Chanel's recent releases that I picked up this year - from the spring collection (April), the Roses Ultimes de Chanel collection (Distraction & Frisson), the summer collection (Island, Delight & Holiday) and the Bombay Express collection (Diwali).

Sky Line is available at Selfridges in London for £18.

note: Sky Line does not have a colour number on the bottle but on the box it is 148.567.  I think the 148 prefix is for their special collections.

9 Comments

  1. Wow, it looks really good on you! I always love colors that completely change colors depending on the lighting...they're so much more complex.

  2. When I first saw the promo shots for Skyline, I didn't think it was something I'd be interested in - but after seeing these shots and hearing your views, I think it sounds right up my alley! It reminds me of a shimmery/metallic version of Essie's Bikini So Teeny, one of my fave shades right now. I really like 'Bikini' on my skintone which makes me think this might work for me too! Thanks for the swatches/review, it's very helpful - I think I'll be adding this to my wishlist now! :)

  3. I initially thought Skyline was going to be too frosty (and it looked that way in other photos I've seen), but it really does look lovely on you!

  4. Caroline - thank you :) it might just be me though, other people might not notice the lavender?

    Beauty obsessed - I just googled swatches of Bikini so Teeny (it's a cute name) - Sky Line is more blue I think. Most of the time it looks icy blue but under certain lighting it looks a bit bluey purpley to me

    Larie - yes I have read that people thought it looked frosty from some photos. I think the finish is pretty much the same as Island/Peche Nacree/Black Pearl - I don't mind them so Sky Line is fine for me!

  5. Wonderful colour... can t wait to get it...

    Valerie

  6. Valerie - :) I had a look at your blog - the Chanel Orange Blossom & Jade!!

  7. I thought and rethought and thought thought thought..and finally decided is no use trying to resist and ordered it anyway...not yet got the bottle, but I sure hope it looks as good as it does on you :fingers crossed:

  8. Radhika - Let me know what you think when you get it. I think Sky Line will look good on most people!

  9. Paradoxal does not work with my skin tones and I tired of April quickly. Skyline looks lovely though. thanks for the review.

Leave a Reply

Comments on A LIPSTICK A DAY are moderated. Your comment will appear once it has been approved. Comments advertising blog or website links will be deleted.
To receive comment notifications for this post, click the "subscribe by email" link below.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...